AQUAPONIC – possible new working unit in spain

Welcome Forums virtual plenum AQUAPONIC – possible new working unit in spain

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    juan petry
    Keymaster

hello all,

luke and nafisa like to start a new working unit with members of familiafeliz. we should collect useful information and the status of this discussion here online.

cu juan

luke austerlitz
    Participant

Hi all,

The aquaponics is at last, making progress and steps are being made towards realizing it.

Together with Juan, who has been a great source of inspiration and assistance, Nafisa and I are excited about this project of ours.

Anyone can apply to join this unit and assist us at the conception and construction phase, OR once the aquaponics is producing great vegetables and fish, anyone can help to run and maintain it.

Three days ago, I was able to find an auto car wrecking place and buy two 12Volt second hand car batteries.

On the same day, I was able to discover a source of the clay pebbles needed for the grow beds. This source is in Benicarlo. The manufacturer of this product is based in Portugal. The website is http://www.argex.pt. This is a great discovery because it is precisely this material that is perfect for aquaponics. The expanding clay pebbles are the right size, light, porous, can hold water and the right bacteria and best of all, are completely pH neutral.

It’s a great start. I can safely predict we can have this aquaponics (one 700 liter tank, 3-4 grow-beds) fully operational by the end of January.

This project will eventually provide more than 80% of the food needs of Casa el Drac group for the future, which will not be hard as there are only two people in it!

The surplus food such as lettuce, cabbages, broccoli, tomatoes, peppers, beans, cucumbers, etc can be given away as gifts to the villagers. This will foster good-will with the village and will rebound in a very positive way, upon Casa el Drac.

All the best to everyone out there who likes their food fresh, without pesticides, and grown organically with your own hands, labor and sweat.

Luke and Nafisa

luke austerlitz
    Participant

Hi,

Made two useful acquisitions for the project at the Cabanes open air market last Sunday. Here they are. They were one euro each. I could have bargained lower to 50 cents each, but I was feeling generous that day.

The whole idea of this project is to use only discarded/second hand materials to complete this project (one fish tank and 3 grow beds) for under 200 euros!

Next time I will bargain harder.

They are two 12-14mm elbow pipes bough from gypsies.

elbow pipes

Luke and Nafisa

luke austerlitz
    Participant

Today Nafisa and I went to Benicarlo to search for clay pebbles off the beach for the grow beds. We were able top find a great amount of clay discards (for free!). Here is what we collected for the future aquaponics.

By collecting discards and what is available for free, the project will be very cost effective! All the materials to build an aquaponics is available for very little money, or is free. It just requires commitment and a little effort!

juan petry
    Keymaster

aquaponics parts

hello luke, hello nafisa,

thanks for collecting the stones at the beach, i think we will join you in january cause we will need a lot 🙂

i have some parts to control the quantity of water in a ibc. have a look to the photo (left side).

i paid nearly 18 euros for one set. we need 3-4 more but we could collect the main part (flushing tank controll valve) out of old water deposits from toiletts. the rest is to connect it with our existing watering system (tubes).

especially for strong connections between tubes we need a lot of the part (hose clamp/clip … right side on the left photo). I paid 3.49 for 4 pieces. check if it is cheaper in a feriterias…thanks.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by juan petry.
    juan petry
    Keymaster

to all,
    also we need a lot of pvc tubes (pipe bends) like the part on the right side of the photo.

we need parts in dim 40″ 50″ 60″ 70″ 100″ 125″ 130″ … L and T and tubes…

sometimes on trash mountains… you could check also the wraker in benicarlo near benihort… sometimes he get pvc parts and he donate it all.

lets search for this pvc – parts…

luke austerlitz
    Participant

hi Juan,

we will search these pvc parts for sure. So 40″ is 40 mm? or 40 cm? or 40 inches?

Is 130″ = 130 cms???

Can you please clarify so that Nafisa and I will start looking for them this week?

luke austerlitz
    Participant

Hi Juan,

I think the best thing is to wait until you return to see what materials you have and then, based on what you have brought back to Cervera, we will then know what else to get/scavenge locally.

I will be buying more Argex clay pebbles in 50L bags.

juan petry
    Keymaster

hello luke,

we need all kinds of tubes and fittings, equal if it is 40″ or more up to 130″ — and we are in europe, so it is “cm” and not “inch”.

cu
    juan

juan petry
    Keymaster

hi luke,
    i think it makes a lot of sense to collect as much as possible this material from the beach. so every time you are moving between the places, try to collec as much as possible, invite david and all other to a trip to collect more. when i am back i will do the same, lets calculate:

3 beds * 250 liter volume = 750 liter volume / 10 l per bucket = 75 buckets full of this ceramic pieces…

IMPORTANT.
    move all ibc – pieces (the lower pieces with the big exit in the middle) in the area of the aquaponics place (but not inside the space, guard it beside!) and fill it with this material what you collected at the beach.
    the reason: the ceramic is full of salt from the sea, i imagine it will rain sometimes. if we organise it this way, the rainwater will wash out the salt in the next weeks before we use it for planting. i do not want to use expencive fresh water from the town.

also:
    please mave fotos and send me via whatsapp or mail for documentation. thats important for the communication and the process.

cu
    juan

juan petry
    Keymaster

batteries, cables and other stuff from cars…

hello luke, if you meet wrackers again, have a look to these things:

Seatbelts (= we need a lot to fix new trees in january)
    Plastic hose (any kind in cars like for window washer installation)
    Alternator (12 V – for wind mil to charge batteries)
    Safe / canister of window washing installation and little water pump
    V-belts (alternater and other)
    Poles (from auto battery)
    Cable (from battery to starter – strong)
    12 V bulbs with sockets (rear light, driving light incl. body and cristal, plastic)
    manual car lifter

cu

juan

luke austerlitz
    Participant

Hi Juan,

I bought another 50L bag of Argex clay pebbles for 5,60 euros.

I am not sure about the ceramic pieces from the beach in Benicarlo, though. They may be too big for the plants, but we can discuss this when you return.

Perhaps we can have one grow bed of ceramica, one of Argex clay and the other, from another type of stone.

We will go to the Peniscola wreckers soon to see what we can find.

We will be in Cervera this week for two days.

luke austerlitz
    Participant

I still do not understand what has happened to all the insects in this part of Spain!!!

In Australia, there are a hundred insects under each stone or tree. They are everywhere!!! Australia is the land where the INSECT is KING!!! Here in Valencia Province, the climate is similar to Australia’s, but THERE ARE NO INSECTS!!!

WHY?

Have they been all exterminated with “Round Up” Pesticides??? It is a very big worry for me personally.

Which supports my theory that Europe is a dying continent. It is old, it is tired, it is DYING!

luke austerlitz
    Participant

Forget about saving the panda, the rhino, the European bear!!!

Without insects, there is NO BIO-DIVERSITY!!!! There is no ENVIRONMENT!!! There is NOTHING!!!

SAVE THE INSECT! The ants. The flies. The beetles. The grasshoppers. The mosquitoes. The cockroaches and the lice!!! They are NOT PESTS! They are all precious and deserving of LIFE!

Without the insect, there is no life, for the entire natural food chain depends on INSECTS. Has centuries of European cultivation finally killed off the entire INSECT POPULATION? Has European mono-culture killed them all?

juan petry
    Keymaster

insects lodge

hello luke,
    what do you think about creating some insect lodges ?
    cu
    juan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.