In early 2020 our community – like many other in the world – experienced a serious time of reconstruction. Limited in access and free movement we focused on solutions to survive and to initiate peace and hope around us. We collected plants and seeds and started to prepare a urban garden on the terrace. We published news around this theme to guide some friends far away asking for urban gardening solutions and we documented the progress.
We shared and donated plants in the village and we prepared some seeds for having more plants in the future.
We created some frames out of pallet wood. We tried plants in different locations of the terrace, in different pots, compagnioned by different other plants.
So far after 4 weeks we experienced this:
- Potatos – even out-cutted piezes with buds – are growing well.
- Salad is growing fast in some pots, very slowly in others.
- Bigger frame constructions containing more soil are working better than little once.
- Replanted onions are buildung flowers. Leek doesn´t look good.
- Tomatos in bigger plastic bottles (including a bigger deposite of water) are growing better.
- Watercress is growing fast and better in protected areas with some shadow over the day.
- The mix of garden soil, compost and starter soil makes a big difference.
We decided to continue the project and to expand the production of new plants with donated seeds from friends. We will replant some in our big garden.